Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Ultimate Language Test

My German is horrible.

We have been living here for two and half years now, but I barely manage to visit the local grocery store without making a fool out of myself.

And it is one thing to have a conversation with one person, but to participate a group meeting with people you are about to meet many times in the future...

Unrelated photos from our photo session on Sunday...

Yesterday we had an 'Elternnachmittag', or parents afternoon at the Fräulein's Krippe. There were three teachers and the parents of five other kids present.

And the ultimate language test? It consisted of five points.

1. Introduce yourself in German: passed 
The other parents nodded their heads as I was talking, so I guess they understood what I was saying...

2. Understand the information given by the teachers: passed
I think I understood about 95% of it. Especially the head teacher speaks very foreign-friendly German, as she is used to communicating with toddlers.

3. Follow the conversation: partly passed
Some of the parents were very easy to follow, but I have no idea what some of them were talking about. But I was able to laugh at the right moment!

4. Ask questions yourself: passed
I asked if they are really singing christmas carols in May, as Fräulein is singing "O Tannenbaum" at home. And apparently they are...

5. Survive the meeting without making a fool out of yourself: passed
At least I hope so...


The result: I was able to take Fräulein to the Krippe this morning holding my head up high!

Needless to say that neither of these were chosen as the official Mother's Day photo! :)


*****
Fräuleinin päiväkodissa oli eilen vanhempainilta. Oma kielitaitoni joutui koetukselle, kun yritin selvitä tapaamisesta kunnialla. Ja täytyy sanoa, että ymmärsin kyllä valtaosan asioista ja onnistuin jopa itse kysymään jotain!

4 comments:

Riina said...

Voi mitä söpöliinejä kuvista kurkistaa! :)

Oikeassa kohdassa nauraminen on tärkein taito! Paikkasin sillä pitkään puuttuvia ranskantaitoja. Ja oikea kohta oli siis silloin, kun muutkin nauroivat. Sitten opin sujuvammin ranskaa ja lopetin nauramisen. Luoja miten huonoille jutuille täällä nauretaankin. ;)

Frau Welle said...

Kiitos! :)

Juu, se oikeassa paikassa nauraminen on oleellista. Ja siinä pitää olla tosi tarkkana: vaikka nauraisi samassa kohtaa kuin muut, niin naurun pitää myös alkaa mahdollisimman samanaikaisesti. Jos aloittaa muutaman sekunnin viiveellä, saa myös nolattua itsensä! :D

Andrea said...

Wonderful pictures, beautiful girls! Proud of you for not being intimidated by language issues any more :)

Frau Welle said...

Thank you! :)