Thursday, January 19, 2012

Damn Darkness

One could think that, as a Finn, I would be accustomed to the darkness.

Previously, I have actually quite liked the darkness. It hasn't bothered me, if there hasn't been snow in the winter, as I am not into winter sports (well, into ANY sports, for that matter...). The only reason I have wished for snow has been because then the drive to work and back would not have been so dark (one collision with a moose has been enough for me).

But with a child this - as so many other things - has changed. Damn darkness!

Whereas many families with small children are out on the playground before sunrise, our daily rhythm is a bit different. I won't go into details, but we are usually ready to go out around 4 or 5 pm. And it is getting dark by then.

For some reason, the playgrounds are not lit here, so there is no point visiting them after 5 pm. Fortunately, Fräulein is not very demanding with the outdoor activities, as her favorite thing on the playground is sitting on a bench. So, often we just go outside and walk back and forth on our quiet street.

On Sunday, we visited the Nerotal playground just when everyone else was heading home. 
Thankfully, the days are quickly getting longer. According to the timeanddate.com, sun sets about a minute and a half later each day! So, hopefully I will soon been able to publish the Part 2 of my Playground Reviews.

No comments: